Sunday, January 20, 2008

Fabric Design

Timorous Beasties


I don't quite remember how I found the Timorous Beasties site. I am guessing that Selvedge Magazine probably had something to do with it. I have been in awe ever since I laid my eyes on everything that they create. The passage below is taken from their website. It describes the Toile collection and overall essence that is Timorous Beasties.

"By depicting uncompromisingly contemporary images on traditional textiles and wallpapers, Timorous Beasties has defined an iconoclastic style of design once described as “William Morris on acid.” Typical is the Glasgow Toile. At first glance it looks like one of the magnificent vistas portrayed on early 1800s Toile de Jouy wallpaper, but closer inspection reveals a nightmarish vision of contemporary Glasgow where crack addicts, prostitutes and the homeless are depicted against a forbidding backdrop of dilapidated tower blocks and scavenging seagulls." (www.timorousbeasties.com)

WILLIAM MORRIS ON ACID! What a compliment!

I really believe that I would lose my breath in the showroom below. I believe that this particular one is in Glasgow. They also opened one in London.
Until I can make my way over, I will have to settle with the website.
Visit www.timorousbeasties.com

No comments: