Thursday, November 12, 2009

My stay at Lost River Modern

Last month I had the ultimate pleasure of staying at Lost River Modern.  Lost River Modern is a modern prefab cabin located in north eastern West Virginia.  It was designed by the creators of the first Dwell Home res4 architecture.

It has been a dream of mine to stay there for quite some time.  I am originally from West Virginia and as soon as I learned of LRM I was so excited.  I was incredibly delighted to learn that this was the first modern home available for guests and was more than a little proud  that it was located in my home state! 

The owners of LRM describe the cabin as a "tree house".  The website explains that  "lostrivermodern's spare lines and perfect setting leave only light and sound and space vying for attention."  My first thought was that there was no better setting to place this cabin than in the beautiful hills of West Virginia.  There is no landscape quite like West Virginia, especially during the fall months.  I have always described the change of season in WV as resembling a patch work quilt and was lucky enough to experience this change at LRM; where the outside is certainly brought in and celebrated to its fullest.


My friend and I arrived late at night.  We drove on a road that was actually built just for the cabin.  Speaking of, LRM does have a blog dedicated to the building process where one can learn about the design, location, and just how much it would cost to make a cabin of your own.  It was that site where I actually learned about the road.  The blog is a fantastic diary that leads the reader step by step into the adventure of modern prefab building.  It even shares the ups and downs, as well as decisions on what sort of furniture to include in such a space.

Since we arrived at night, the scenery was a bit of a mystery.  The next morning I was actually glad that our arrival was a dark one because I woke up and just about lost my breath.  

My morning started with this view.



After that I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning.  I got out of bed and quickly headed to the living room.



With a gigantic smile on my face,  I just stood there for a while until I remembered that I could make coffee.



  With coffee in hand and smile still plastered, I headed outside.  





After coffee, my pal and I explored the cabin in detail.  I absolutely admired every square foot.


  
The only thing that I could have asked for was more local recognition.  I mean this in the way of the decor.  I would have liked to have seen local photography, furniture, and perhaps a Chakra Pennywhistle pillow or two.  Ha!  Had to say it! I wondered about the decor and had a feeling that it was budget related.  Sure enough, the blog goes into this topic with a post about buying original designs and at what cost that would be.  However, I can't help but think that most indie artists like myself would jump at the chance and offer products for free or at a discounted price, not only for promotional purposes, but also to celebrate the fact that the cabin is a modern gorgeous piece of work.  I also know that modern style requires lots of open space, but it sure would have been nice to wake up covered in one of these....  would have went well with the foliage.

My friend and I had the most beautiful morning.  I remember talking to her about West Virginia and just how cool it was to have a place like this in the thick of it... literally.  I decided that morning that I will have a LRM of my own someday.  Presently, there is not a day that goes by that I don't think of that at least once.  

Staying at Lost River Modern was a little dream of mine that came true.  I would recommend staying there just for the experience of waking up in a "tree house" in Lost River, West Virginia.

11 comments:

Jan Halvarson said...

oh lucky you!

Chakra Pennywhistle said...

Hee!
Jan, I knew that you would appreciate this post :)

Jesse said...

It looks lovely. Thanks for the tour!

ethanollie said...

jealous indeed

Brenda said...

Soooo beautiful! I'm glad it was everything and more that you hoped for!

jacqueline said...

WOW that place looks wonderful! I aodre the cabin designs. :) We have something similar here in Malaysia but i have yet to visit one. :) Thanks so much for taking us along with you! Have a lovely merry happy weekend and love to you!

sara girlscantell said...

so gorgeous! now it's on my vacation wish list!

ljkc said...

I want to go to there.

xo

alexkeller said...

i 'd love to go visit in the fall, too. do you think there are any leaves left up on the mountain?

Chakra Pennywhistle said...

Alex,
October is the best time to visit WV. The leaves are absolutely incredible! I would say anytime during the month of October would be great :)

Barbara Bechtel said...

So cool! I know amost exactly where that is too and never knew it existed. I grew up just across the way in Western PA. That would make such a nice stop on our way home!